Wow, that title was a mouthful! Basically these are my favorite nude and neutral-toned, (aka hospital-approved) easy-to-throw-on tinted lip balms, sheer, and regular lipsticks.
Before launching the blog, I was brainstorming names for the website title. Some of the original ideas that came to mind were things like”Red Lips, White Coat” etc. … which 1) turned out to be already taken by a gorgeous physician but also 2) seemed a little disingenuous because while I LOVE red lipstick, I really only ever get to wear it in my personal life…very rarely while in a white coat and certainly never in scrubs. Alas, “White Coat, Tinted Lipbalm” didn’t have quite the same ring to it…
Anyways, after much lip swatching, here are the lip products that I have most frequently pulled from my collection (*cough* hoard *cough*) since starting clinical rotations, and a few comments about each of them. Please do pardon the awkward up close lip shots, how do people get such good lip pics?
Tinted Lip Balms
- Covergirl Oh, Sugar! in Caramel: This has been my go-to neutral lip balm, that is unoffensive in color, moisturizes my lips, and adds some shine. I like this one because it isn’t too pink so when I am wearing a more coral-toned blush or any more neutral looks in general. This one basically lives in my white coat pocket because I know that I can never go wrong putting it on. The moisture and tint only last for about 2-3 hours, but I don’t mind reapplying as necessary.
- Fresh Rose Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15: This was the first tinted lip balm that I ever fell in love with— I imprinted on it, if you will. This one, in comparison to the Covergirl, adds more of a pinky tint that really wakes up my face and pairs perfectly with a pink blush. I also love that it has SPF in it! This one rotates between my purse and my white coat pocket, depending on the day. You can see that this one has been used so much that the writing on the packaging has warn off! Speaking of the packaging, this is just pretty. Bonus: it has a pleasant light lemon scent.
- Sephora Rouge Shine No 10: I really can’t remember how I picked up this lipstick in the first place…but I’m so glad that I did! It is a really nice shiny, neutral pink that feels very buttery on the lips. Like all of these sheer products, lasting time is only 2-3 hours or so without reapplication but because it feels so nice on the lips I don’t mind. This shade reminds me of MAC Modesty, a former favorite of mine. I love it when Sephora brand hits it out of the park with reasonably priced products 😀
- Bare Minerals Gen Nude Radiant Lipstick Strip: This is the newest addition to my neutral lip stash. I like this one because it is a more “brown” pink than the other shades I have, yet still perfectly wearable for the hospital. The formula is super liquid-y and hydrating and so far I really am enjoying it. It feels like more of a hybrid between a lip balm and a lipstick than a “sheer” lipstick as it packs quite a bit of pigment. I’m definitely interested in trying some of the other shades!
- Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in Morning After (sheer): So when I went to check out the new Urban Decay Vice lipsticks, I didn’t plan to even really look at the sheer shades. After watching several, I ended up trying this one out just for the heck of it and it turned out to be a really pretty light, cooler-toned pink that doesn’t come off as bubble gum or Barbie-esque as all. The texture of this is definitely more lipstick than lip balm, so it sticks around a little longer. BTW, I think this one might be an Ulta exclusive shade.
- L’Oreal Colour Riche Jennifer’s Nude: I originally bought this months ago when I was looking for a dupe for YSL #10, Beige Tribute. I’m not sure if it is a perfect dupe or not, but it is a great “true nude” that doesn’t give me the concealer lips look. I have pretty pigmented lips, so for me it is a fine line between finding something neutral enough to “neutralize them” but not too pale. The only thing about this one is that all L’Oreal lipsticks have kind of a weird soap-y/floral smell/taste. I’m not too sensitive to it, but it is worth mentioning.
- Bite Beauty Matte Creme Lip Crayon in Glace: This one is the darkest of the bunch! I included it because while a little dark, is still totally appropriate for a more dressed up day (think clinic, not scrubs). Even though matte is in the name, this product definitely has a creme finish. It is quite hydrating, and I find it to wear down on my lips evenly which it always nice for a “work” lipstick. It is a beautiful mauve color that I think would be flattering on a lot of skin tones, and would likely look less dark on someone whose skin isn’t so fair. The one pictured is a mini from a Sephora 100pt perk, but it is still available in a full size 🙂
- Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in Backtalk: Here is another one of the new Vice lipsticks! Its a gorgeous everyday pink with some purple undertones to it. I really like this one on me because I feel like the amount of purple is flattering on the hazel in my eyes. The finish is described as “comfort matte” which I think is totally appropriate. It isn’t light reflective, but is definitely not drying. The formula goes on completely opaque in one swipe which I also really appreciate. It does transfer if you eat or drink, but otherwise stays put pretty well.
- Kat Von D Studded Kiss Lipstick in Lovecraft: Okay, so how awesome is this packaging?! I got this mini in a set that also came with a mini nail polish to match it but I am including it because it truly is a favorite and if I were to go through it I would consider purchasing a full sized tube. It is a similar shade to Backtalk, but a bit lighter and less purple. It is very matte and can feel a bit dry on application, but I find that it does last on the lips for quite a while.
- The Balm Meet Matte Hughes Long Lasting Liquid Lipstick in Committed: So this is the only liquid lipstick that I own or have tried that I would recommend for the hospital or clinic (though I am always open to recommendations 😉 ). First off, it smells like Thin Mints…so gold star for that. It is a really pretty “my lips but brighter” shade that isn’t too bold for work, AND when it fades it does so evenly—not with that gross white, crusty ring that some liquid lipsticks do. Now, this liquid lipstick isn’t 100% transfer proof like some other liquid lipsticks, but I don’t find it to be drying and can definitely last throughout a day. When I wear this one, I do bring it with me to touch up the center after a meal, but otherwise it is pretty low maintenance.
So, those are the neutral lip products that I reach for the most– especially the balms now that I am in scrubs all month.
Bonus Edit: Here are all of them together 😀
What are your go to nude/”my lips but better” shades? Anyone else hoard neutral makeup products like a dragon hoards gold?